It’s no secret that high-quality, solid wood furniture is pricier than veneer, laminate, plastic, and other furniture. The materials simply cost more and are more time consuming and labor-intensive to craft. But that higher upfront payment pays off in plenty of ways, as there are so many benefits of buying solid wood furniture.
Let’s take a quick look at some of the most compelling:
Reasons to Purchase Solid Wood Furniture
- It’s incredibly durable. Undoubtedly one of the greatest benefits of buying solid wood furniture is that you’re getting a product that can survive for generations. Heywood-Wakefield pieces, for example, are built to last more than 100 years. And with proper care, they do. That’s why so many vintage Heywood-Wakefield pieces are still being handed down and bought on the antiques market, even 50, 75, 100 years after they were made.
- It’s a smart investment. Because quality solid wood furniture endures for so long, the larger initial investment actually saves you money in the long run. Less durable furniture needs to be replaced far more frequently. But those solid wood pieces in your home can last a lifetime, so they can be a one-time purchase.
- It has character. Thanks to the natural variations in the grain of all lumber, each piece of solid wood furniture is unique. This gives it more character than other types of furniture that are churned out looking identical. The solid wood’s natural look and crafting, plus the way it ages, all contribute to its personality and the way it enlivens a room.
- It brings nature into your home. Natural wood is a comforting, uplifting material because it’s so strongly associated with the great outdoors. You could even think of it as the comfort food of furniture. Incorporating natural elements into your living spaces is one of the best ways to create a happy, healthy home.
- It transforms your living spaces. Solid wood furniture’s character and natural look have a special way of adding warmth, elegance, and style to your home. It’s a great way to transform a room into a true living space.
- It can be transformed, too. Sanding, staining, and refinishing provide convenient opportunities to change the look of your solid wood furniture at some point down the line. This means you can simply adapt these pieces to new looks when you decide to switch things up, rather than replace them unnecessarily. Heywood-Wakefield’s lumber species, Northern Yellow Birch, is particularly receptive to stains, by the way.
- It’s exceptionally versatile. Regardless whether a room’s décor is vintage, mid-century modern, minimalist, industrial, rustic, coastal, traditional, transitional, a quirky blend, or something else entirely, wood furniture can fit right in.
- It’s an environmentally friendly option. Solid wood is biodegradable, unlike many of the synthetic materials used to make a lot of the furniture out there. And solid wood furniture is built from a sustainable material. Heywood-Wakefield is proud to get all our lumber from sustainable tree farms in the US that plant at least one new tree for each one harvested.
- It’s easy to clean and maintain. Just give solid wood furniture a regular dusting and go about your business. Take a look at these tips for protecting wood furniture to help keep it looking its best and maximize its long life.
- It makes an impression. Who doesn’t want their home to wow their guests? Because it has so much charm, character, and elegance, and because it conveys its high quality in its appearance, solid wood furniture is impressive and makes a statement. It says that you’re invested in your home and serious about making it distinct—and distinctly yours.