Acquiring quality furniture is a key part of styling your home. Furniture is both a functional and decorative element in a room, so there’s a lot to consider when making purchasing decisions. Regardless what particular items you’re getting, the following tips for buying furniture help ensure you make wise decisions that work for your circumstances and taste.
Things to Think About When Purchasing Furniture
- Consider your lifestyle before committing to significant furniture investments. For example, if you have a hyperactive 2 year old and a hyperactive new puppy, you might want to wait a few years before buying an expensive leather couch and matching armchairs. Or, if you’re likely to move around a few times over the next few years, or to put some furniture in storage, these are good reasons to hold off on buying your “forever” furniture.
- Expect to get what you pay for. Furniture prices vary widely. If you don’t mind changing up your furniture every few years, lower-cost furniture that typically needs replacement every few years may be fine. If, however, you want durable pieces that last a lifetime or longer, you’ll have to invest in higher-priced items.
- Measure, measure, measure. You’ll probably measure the space where the furniture is going to be sure it fits. It’s also helpful to measure the space that will remain around the piece to get a better sense of how it will fit in the larger context of the room and with surrounding pieces. Also, when purchasing large or unusually shaped furniture, measure all the doorways and stairways it will have to pass through. Even if it’s not fully assembled upon arrival, it very well may be if and when you have to move it out.
- Take your time. Buying furniture shouldn’t be a hurried or impulsive process. When investing in high-quality pieces, treat it like any other major purchase. Shop around, get educated about options, read user reviews, and take time to think things over. We of course believe there are lots of compelling reasons to buy furniture from Heywood-Wakefield, but we encourage you to explore what’s available and make decisions that are best for you and your home.
- Understand the care your furniture will need. When you invest in high-quality pieces, it behooves you to learn about the proper ways to clean, protect, and repair it. Most furniture isn’t particularly high maintenance, but a little care goes a long way toward keeping it looking its best for as long as possible. There are right and wrong ways to care for every type of material, so read up a bit on what you should be doing for any piece you purchase.
- Picture how the furniture will look with other furniture and your décor. There are endless ways to mix, match, and coordinate a room, and some work better than others. But ultimately, it’s all about your taste. Pay attention to how all the colors, patterns, shapes, and styles in the space will play together. Don’t be afraid to thoughtfully combine different woods and finishes. Envision the room as a whole, cohesive entity with your new furniture placed within. Is it a harmonious image?