Mid-century modern design and décor is a fun but tasteful approach to developing the look and feel of your home. It refers to the period of time from the mid 1930s through the mid 1960s, and while it’s a retro style, it’s also a timeless one. And it plays well with so many other styles, including more contemporary ones. By following these mid-century modern interior design tips, you can bring this style to life in your home and create living spaces that are aesthetically pleasing, relaxing, and highly functional.
Mid-Century Modern Interior Design Tips
- Avoid clutter and take a minimalist approach to your interior design.
- Keep your living spaces as open, airy, and flowing as you can.
- Furnish and decorate rooms with items that have clean lines and gentle curves.
- Flood your rooms with as much natural light as possible.
- Illuminate your rooms with mid-century modern light fixtures.
- Add pops of bold color to your rooms.
- Delineate living spaces with mid-century modern area rugs.
- Hang retro art and photographs from the 1940s, 1950s, and 1960s.
- Incorporate abstract, geometric, atomic, or sunburst patterns. Just exercise caution when combining different patterns.
- Offset wood and natural elements with metals—particularly chrome and brass.
- Create an accent wall with mid-century modern wallpaper or wood paneling.
- Buy retro appliances and decorative items from the mid-century era.
- Add a prominent mid-century item to your rooms, like a bar cart or record player.