Adding color is a fundamental part of bringing any interior space to life and giving it some personality. Of course, you have to tread carefully; too much color or busyness can make the décor overwhelming. When you add pops of color to your living room—accent areas of color that coordinate well with the base color of the room—you can easily create visual interest without overdoing it.
This makes a frequently used, public area of your home like the living room more vibrant, inviting, enjoyable, and memorable. So, if you’re somewhat new to decorating and designing your home, or you just need some inspiration to bring the room to life, here are some tips to help you add pops of color to your living room.
Adding More Color to Your Living Room Décor
- Hang some artwork with one dominant color.
- Buy a set of colorful, matching décor items that can be placed in a few spots around the room.
- Add an accent chair with a bold, colorful fabric to your living room.
- Place vibrant throw pillows on your living room couch and/or love seat. You can combine them with a nicely folded or draped matching throw blanket, too.
- Hang colorful curtains on your living room windows.
- Use one or more area rugs in your living room to add color, soften the look of the room, and delineate different functional spaces within the room.
- Paint an accent wall, while keeping the other walls a neutral color.
- Paint a neutral piece of furniture such as a bookshelf, if your living room has one.
- Increase the green by putting plants around your living room. And of course flowers can add color, too. This is a great way to bring some nature into your home.
- Mount a large mirror in a place where it will reflect natural light or an item or wall with your accent color.
- Upholster your living room sofa with a colorful fabric.