If your home seems a little sparse—and not in a deliberately minimalist sort of way that you find pleasing—or if your current floor coverings look a bit worn, faded, frayed, or otherwise past their prime, it may be time to buy one or more area rugs. And if you’re on the fence, there are plenty of compelling reasons to get area rugs.
Take a look at the following seven reasons to get area rugs, and surely you’ll see the benefits. Then, read our post on selecting the right area rug to ensure you purchase one that looks and feels just right for the particular living space where you lay it down.
Why You Should Furnish with Area Rugs
- Area rugs delineate living spaces in multi-functional rooms and open floor plans without using room dividers, furniture, or other physical barriers that can disrupt mobility and flow and make a room seem smaller. Use them to set off and define conversation areas, TV spots, reading nooks, dining areas, and so on. This helps establish a strong sense of organization and functionality throughout your home.
- They enliven any room. Area rugs offer a perfect opportunity to introduce complementary new colors, patterns, textures, or personality to your living spaces. They can add “pop” or dimension, or help fill out a thin atmosphere.
- Area rugs are more warm and comfortable for bare feet than a cold, hard floor surface. This makes them perfect for placing beneath sofas and chairs where you like to relax. And if you have a hard floor surface in your bedroom, you’ll appreciate an area rug to land on first thing in the morning.
- The soft surface dampens sound. Area rugs cut down on echoing in rooms that are sparsely furnished and/or that have mostly hard surfaces. In addition, they mute the sounds of footsteps, dog nails, dropped items, and other floor noises, which is a great benefit in second-story rooms or if you live in an apartment or condo above somebody else.
- You can easily achieve a new look. If you find yourself feeling a bit bored with the appearance of any of your rooms, adding or replacing area rugs is a relatively quick, affordable, and simple way to change things up and create a fresher look and feel.
- Another of the many good reasons to get area rugs is that they protect your floor surfaces. If you have hardwood or other quality flooring, area rugs protect it from scratches, stains, and other wear and tear.
- Area rugs also increase safety in your home, especially if you have young children or an elderly family member. When you select rugs with a non-slip bottom or lay down a non-slip pad below them area rugs reduce the risk of slips, slides, and falls.